Monday, April 25, 2005

Zeut's Marathon Energy Bars

Jessi's Super Yummy Marathon Energy Bars

These are excellent! I ate two small bars on my last 10 mile walk, and felt really good. I have a sensitive tummy, and these passed the test!

These have a good mix of protein, fat and complex carbohydrates. I didn't feel the sugar slump I often feel from commercial energy bars. The spelt flour is much easier to digest for many people. If you are sensitive to too much fat in your training food, you may eliminate the 1/4 cup of sunflower oil.

These bars are dense enough to hold together in your fanny pack without getting crushed and they don't crumble as you eat them while walking. Don't expect them to be as chewy and dense as a commercial energy bar: think brownie-like.

I can't emphasize the importance of quality ingredients enough! Please don't use commercial ingredients. Your body is worth it! I shop in bulk at a natural food store.

Prep time: 45 minutes, Makes about 24 bars

1/3 cup organic unsalted, roasted almond butter
1/3 cup maple syrup (grade B)
1/4 cup organic sunflower oil (or unsalted butter)
2 organic free-range large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup low-fat organic yogurt, plain or vanilla (unsweetened)
1 very ripe organic banana, peeled and mashed
1 3/4 cup organic whole spelt flour
1/4 cup organic oat bran
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 organic apple (Fuji), peeled, cored and grated
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup organic semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 pitted & diced medjool dates
1/4 t organic lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the almond butter, maple syrup, sunflower oil, eggs, vanilla, yogurt and banana. In a separate bowl combine the spelt flour, oat bran, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Blend dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Stir in apples, raisins and chocolate chips, dates and lemon zest. Pour batter onto a greased 13x9x2 inch pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the bars to cool and cut into 1X4 inch bars. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze anything you don't eat in 24 hours.

3 comments:

julie said...

i have been looking for a good granola-type bar recipe for Virginia and i may try these. she pretty much only eats on the go so i'm always on the lookout for good "finger foods".

Jessi said...

I hope you try them! I'm proud of this recipe!

julie said...

I am totally going to. i'm planning to go to the kiva today to get the stuff i need. i was thinking of substituting another flour for the spelt because i believe they don't carry it in bulk (only a larger package). i have several wheat flours and barley flour. is this a recipe you created??